This article is obsolete. It does not have a replacement.

After updating my externals to Rails 0.14.1, I ran into a few snags. First one is a difference in the handling of boolean attributes between both versions. I had the following assertion:

1 class EstimateTest < Test::Unit::TestCase
2   def test_converts_base_information_to_quote
3     # ...
4     assert_equal e.pst_active, q.pst_active, 'copied pst active'
5   end
6 end

q is an instance of Quote, and e is an instance of Estimate. In both cases, pst_active determines if the provincial tax is active. It is a boolean attribute, but I had forgotten to use the attr_name? form. In 0.13.1, this worked, but with 0.14.1, it failed with the following:

1   1) Failure:
2 test_converts_base_information_to_quote(EstimateTest) [./test/unit/estimate_test.rb:493]:
3 copied pst active.
4 <1> expected but was
5 <true>.

When I switched both calls to pst_active to the boolean form, the assertion passed again.

Next, I had 44 failures in my functionnal tests:

1  44) Error:
2 test_destroyed_pictures_dont_appear_in_the_slideshow(WelcomeControllerTest):
3 TypeError: cannot convert Symbol into String
4     D:/rails-app/config/../lib/productize.rb:38:in `+'
5     D:/rails-app/config/../lib/productize.rb:38:in `full_template_path'

This application makes use of the Rails Product Generator. Notice the bug is in lib/productize.rb, and not my code per se. Line 38 of lib/productize.rb looks like this:

1 site_specific_path = File.join(SITE_ROOT, 'app', 'views', template_path + '.' + extension)

I corrected the error by simply calling to_s on both template_path and extension.

After that, my tests ran perfectly ! Shows how important it is to have even a minimal test suite.

Search

Your Host

A picture of me

I am François Beausoleil, a Ruby on Rails and Scala developer. During the day, I work on Seevibes, a platform to measure social interactions related to TV shows. At night, I am interested many things. Read my biography.

Top Tags

Books I read and recommend

Links

Projects I work on

Projects I worked on